Elderly Assistance Services Delray Beach, FL
The comfort and wellbeing of your loved one is of the utmost importance to you. That’s why you’re considering hiring Delray Beach, FL elderly assistance services to treat your loved one, especially if they are working with an in home elder care nurse.
However, elderly assistance services may be new to you, as you’re not sure exactly what it is that these nurses and therapists do, or how your loved one will benefit.
Keep reading to figure out why you should consider elderly assistance services from Expicare Nursing Agency in Delray Beach, Florida as an addition to in-home care services.
What Do They Do?
One major task of many elderly assistance services is occupational therapy, which refers to a form of treatment that can help your loved one with their daily tasks. Occupational therapists are trained and qualified to treat a broad spectrum of disorders, such as Alzheimer’s, dementia, and other cognitive disorders as well as developmental problems, behavioral and emotional issues, and even loss of motor control. However, they are also capable of assisting the elderly after they’ve taken a hard fall or suffered from a stroke. They help your loved one obtain their independence once again through specialized and treatments focused on helping the individual. This includes assisting with daily activities such as bathing, standing, walking, cleaning, and more.
Elderly assistance services from Delray Beach, FL aren’t just helping hands, they also provide numerous, lasting benefits to your loved one.
How Your Loved One Can Benefit
- Handling Daily Tasks: Your senior might have trouble with even the most menial of daily activities, such as brushing their teeth. An occupational therapist will be able to assist them with these tasks and make life much easier.
- Avoiding Falls: Slip and falls are an all too common problem that many of the elderly face. Due to how frequently a fall can occur and how dangerous it can be for your senior, it’s important to find any way to avoid them. An occupational therapist can aid in identifying methods of keeping your loved one on their feet.
- Staying Active: Being active is one of the most powerful ways your senior can stay healthy and avoid any compound ailments. Occupational therapy is designed to help them find ways to be active within the parameters of their lifestyle.
- Slowing Memory Loss: An occupational therapist, as stated previously, is trained to care for patients with cognitive disorders and memory loss problems. Moreover, they can help slow down the rate at which your loved one is losing their memory and adjust daily life to better suit the individual.
- Creating a Safe Environment: Delray Beach, FL elderly assistance services are able to evaluate the safety of an home environment, identify any potential safety hazards, and help correct them. They will take into account your loved one’s individual risks and make sure that their environment is suited to their safety needs.
Not only will elderly assistance services help your loved one improve their quality of life, but they can also help them be happier. The emotional support that your senior will receive is often the most notable, and most powerful.
How to Talk With Your Loved One About Utilizing Elderly Assistance Services from Delray Beach, FL
When seniors live on their own, in their homes and not in a nursing home facility, it can be difficult when issues come up that may indicate that they need some help. It can be even more difficult to bring this subject up. Afterall, no one really wants to admit that they need help in caring for themselves. But the truth is, that as the baby boomer generation continues to age out, and life expectancy increases each year, this has become a very important issue that needs to be addressed.
There are certain signs that indicate that it is probably time to talk to your elderly loved one about arranging for some kind of elderly assistance services in Delray Beach, FL. Although some of these signs can happen to an adult at any age, it you notice a consistent pattern developing, it is time to arrange for help.
Signs that indicate your elderly loved one may need in-home assistance include:
- You suspect that your elderly loved one has suffered falls, especially if you notice some bruising on different parts of their body.
- Your elderly loved one appears to be neglecting personal hygiene.
- Your elderly loved one is exhibiting signs of depression.
- Your elderly loved one is failing to keep their doctors’ appointments.
- Your elderly loved one is having a hard time managing their medications.
- Your elderly loved one is neglecting household tasks, both inside and outside the home.
- Your elderly loved one wears the same clothes for days or their laundry is piling up.
- Your elderly loved one’s behavior is odd and out of character.
- Your elderly loved one’s refrigerator is either empty of food or the food that is there has expired or gone bad.
- Your loved one has had an unusual weight gain or weight loss that cannot be explained.
When it comes time to sit down and talk with your loved one about the situation, and whether or not elderly assistance services in Delray Beach, FL. may be a good idea, there are steps you should take first. The first thing you should do is discuss your concerns with other family members and see if they have noticed the same issues. If everyone in the family is on the same page, it makes it easier to convince your elderly loved one that it is time to look into assistance. If you are legally allowed (HIPAA restrictions), discuss the situation with your loved one’s doctor and see what they recommend.
The next thing you should do is research the options that are available. Contact different agencies to see what services they provide and how their elderly assistance services in Delray Beach, FL would benefit your loved one.
When it is time to talk with your loved one, explain how much you love and care for them, and how you found some things that could help make their life easier. Share with them how using the Delray Beach, FL elderly assistance services can help keep their independence and freedom, not inhibit them.
It is important as you share all this information with them, that they are the one who is making the final decision and that they do not feel as if they are being forced into it.
Elderly assistance services for your senior in Delray Beach, FL can help them regain their independence and continue living with satisfaction, while giving you peace of mind in the process. Contact Expicare Nursing Agency today to schedule an appointment to learn more.