In Home Health Care Boca Raton, FL
It is not uncommon as people age that they sometimes forget things. Maybe they forget where they put an item or even forget why they walked into a room. Remembering does come, just not as quick as it used to and when it occurs, there really isn’t any harm to your daily life. But when an older person begins forgetting things like turning the stove off, paying bills, where they are driving to, or remembering the right words for things, it can be a warning that there is something serious going on, such as Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. As these conditions progress over time, many Florida families find that in home health care Boca Raton, FL resident’s trust can help.
As stated above, there is a difference between forgetting where you left your keys and forgetting things because of dementia. Some of the warning signs that families should be aware of that could indicate a serious condition include:
- Persistent forgetfulness: If your loved one is having a hard time remembering things on a daily basis, leaving themselves reminder notes to help them remember, or asking the same questions over and over again because they keep forgetting the answer, this could be a sign that they are suffering from Alzheimer’s or dementia.
- Poor judgment: If your elderly loved one is making poor choices with how they are spending money or falling for scams, this should be a cause for concern. Other signs include wearing the same clothes for several days in a row or dressing inappropriately for the weather or occasion. This is a sign that could indicate that an agency specializing in home health care in Boca Raton, FL can be helpful.
- Difficulty with words: An elderly person who is having a hard time remembering what objects are called or articulating their thoughts in a conversation is another warning sign of possible dementia.
- Having a hard time with directions: Operating household appliances or driving to a friend’s house are suddenly activities that a senior is having a hard time remembering how to do are red flags that something is wrong. Not remembering how they got to a certain location is also a serious cause for concern.
- Mood swings: Another warning sign is if an elderly person begins suffering from mood swings, becoming easily frustrated with normal activities. They may suddenly become fearful or anxious, even when they are in familiar surroundings.
- Becoming withdrawn: All of these changes can cause a senior to withdraw from their regular activities, spending time with friends, and even their family because they are having a hard time keeping up with what is going on around them.
The above are just a few of the signs that indicate the potential of dementia or other medical condition. Talking with your elderly loved one’s doctor and testing to determine what is going on is essential. Your family may also benefit from speaking with Expicare Nursing Agency to find out how in home health care in Boca Raton, FL can help.